Sunday, November 19, 2006

Why I like Women's wrestling

*On a Mickie fan forum/site called The New Extreme http://thenewextreme.com/ somebody asked why it was that we liked girls wrestling, and what lead us to it. And so this was my response*

Well, I like girls... and I like wrestling; thus girls wrestling is the ultimate.

I remember back in the late 90's when Stone Cold Steve Austin was a wrestling god carrying the industry on his back. I didn't care for women's wrestling back then for several reasons:
1. The girls lacked the strength required to do any spectacular tosses and throws.

2. The girls just lacked the ability to perform realistically.

3. Women's matches were nothing more than sex kitten matches; an excuse to show girls in bikinis wiggling around.

I remember not liking female wrestling, but always wishing they'd either do away with it, or at least give these matches some dignity.

Then came Lita. I thought Lita was the coolest woman in the world. She's the one that actually made me want to watch a match between two women. But still, the entire division was treated like a joke, and the matches were just excuses to show eye candy.

The difference was that when Lita entered the picture, it began bothering me more and more that the women's matches were being degraded by bra and panties matches, mud wrestling and other stupid crap. I figured with Lita wrestling, they ought to really do something with the women’s division. Lita can wrestle, see girls can wrestle, give them a chance.

Then I remember Molly Holly, It was like the second coming of Lita.

Then came Trish Stratus; I really could not stand her. Yeah she was hot, but she was such a stupid T&A untalented bimbo. And then they gave her the women's title, and it totally pissed me off that her character became super tough, and she held the belt, just because she was hot looking.

However, as time went by, I noticed Trish improving. Eventually, within the last year or two, I came to respect Trish, but not as much as Lita or Molly Holly.

The women's division was sometimes slightly interesting, and some times pure crap.

Then came Mickie James.

When I first saw Mickie saving Trish, two things came to my mind.

1. Here we go with another Sable and Torrie storyline.
2. Is that Mickie character an Indian, or part Indian? She looks like Pocahontas.

Well after a few weeks, this Mickie character became rather interesting. after a few more weeks, she became very interesting. After a month, she became truly awesome. I would really want to see what Mickie was going to say to Trish next, or what crazy thing she was going to do.

I became fascinated with Mickie. I thought her character was unique, very interesting, and she was great in the ring, and very pretty.

By the time she turned on Trish, I was already hooked on Mickie.

And this might sound really weird, maybe even disturbing, but when I totally fell into Mickie worship was after this one particular scene where she got her nose bloodied, and she wiped the blood with her hand, then tasted her blood, and laughed about it.

That was just totally awesome. She wasn't crying like a little priss. In that brief moment, her psycho persona became ultra convincing.

For me, it was a defining moment in the psycho stalker Mickie character.

And of course Mickie went on to impress me in interviews, and in the ring. And she just kept getting funnier, and crazier, and prettier as time went on.

and of course the more time I spent at Mickie's forum, talking about her, praising her, and all the time I spent making Mickie pictures and banners, and those three shirt concepts, and hoping she might see one of my posts and know I exist, I just totally became obsessed with Mickie.

And now I am a total Mickie maniac, and Mickie has breathed new life into women's wrestling. My interest in women's wrestling goes beyond just Mickie; but into the entire genre of female wrestling.

Hopefully I am not the only one that feels this way. Hopefully many other guys have come to respect women’s wrestling due to people like Lita, Molly Holly, and Mickie James. If so, than it is fair to say Mickie is a hero to the industry of women’s wrestling.

No comments: